PBV strives to make use of its water resources as efficiently as possible. To help improve the efficient use of water within our operations, we have implemented a variety of water-saving programs. Although we have increased production output by 12% from 2005 through 2007, we have only increased our water intake by 2%. We accomplished this through aggressive water efficiency projects and investments.
Water News Release
In 2008, PepsiCo won an award from the U.S. EPA regarding water reduction and recycling strategies. Water efficiency is critical to the U.S. economy and quality of life. Water efficiency leaders are recognized for their contributions in reducing, reusing and recycling water through leadership, innovation and water saved. The Water Efficiency Leader (WEL) awards promote the efficient use of our water resources across America. The goal for the WEL award is to:
- Inspire, motivate and recognize improvement effort, and
- Document and share best practices and create a network of leaders
The award recipients are recognized for high standard water efficient business practices. The 2008 award recognized the efforts of two of PepsiCo’s bottlers; Pepsi Bottling Group and Pepsi Bottling Ventures.
The following programs have helped improve our water efficiency:
- We have saved over three million gallons of water in production operations through water re-use and process improvements since 2005.
- We have procured equipment to store gray-water to use in non-sanitary process applications (i.e. fleet washing, etc.) and have saved an estimated six million gallons of water as a result.
- In 2008, we invested an additional $800,000 in equipment to improve reverse-osmosis efficiency which has saved an estimated three to four million gallons of water annually.
- We have installed a state-of-the-art waterless conveyor lubrication system which is estimated to have saved over one million gallons of water.
PBV has established a water conservation goal of fifteen million gallons by 2009. With some of the equipment we have put in place and some of the process changes we have implemented, we are well on our way to achieving our goal.